Common bouquet flowers that can be poisonous to humans – including daffodils

Monty Don explains how to plant daffodils during the winter

When you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters.Sometimes they’ll include recommendations for other related newsletters or services we offer.Our Privacy Notice explains more about how we use your data, and your rights.You can unsubscribe at any time.

Receiving a bouquet of flowers can be a lovely surprise, and are often sent for a number of different occasions. Lilies, daffodils and chrysanthemums are among some of the most popular flowers found in bouquets. But before you gift someone a bunch of flowers, it may be worth checking which ones are poisonous. Despite their beauty, there are actually several flower varieties that your might want to warn the recipient about.


Chrysanthemums come in many different varieties and can look particularly striking in a flower arrangement.

However, they can actually be quite irritating to skin if you’re not careful.

According to The Spruce, some Chrysanthemums can be a severe skin irritant for some people.

Some of the symptoms include skin reddening, scaling and blisters.


Lilies can often be spotted in florists or supermarket bouquets.

They come in a variety of colours and variations but can actually be poisonous.

When ingested, some lily variations can even be deadly, according to Garden Guides.

All parts of the lily – flowers, fruit, leaves, sap inside the leaves and stems – can be poisonous.

The site said the sap can cause burning on the skin.

Other signs include diarrhoea, loss of appetite, vomiting, drowsiness and weakness.

In more serious cases, ingestion can reportedly cause blurred vision and people to see halo-like objects.

How to clean a toilet: Three steps to a sparkling limescale-free loo [INSIGHT]

Monty Don shares gardening hack to help tomatoes germinate from seeds [UPDATE]
Gardening: ‘Avoid overwatering at all costs’ – tips for houseplants [ANALYSIS]


It seems like every supermarket and shop around this time of year has daffodils.

They’re affordable and always brighten up a room, even in winter.

But be warned, daffodils contain toxic alkaloids which can cause severe vomiting, according to the BBC.

Sir Paul Anthony Cosford, emeritus medical director at Public Health England, said back in 2015: “Daffodils are dangerous if eaten and poisoning can occur as a result.”

Eating a daffodil can cause nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain and diarrhea, according to The National Capital Poison Center.

The bulbs of daffodils also reportedly contain chemicals which can cause severe burning and irritation to the lips, tongue and throat.


Eucalyptus leaves can actually be toxic to humans, despite their pleasant aroma.

According to North Carolina State University, humans who swallow eucalyptus leaves could suffer from nausea, diarrhoea and even fall into a coma.

However, the more severe symptoms tend to occur when a person eats large quantities of the leaves.


Irises come in a range of colours and are often featured in a plethora of bouquets.

But Guy Barter, chief horticultural advisor for the Royal Horticultural Society, told MadeForMums that irises can cause harm.

He explained: “Some of them have interesting seeds and seed pods that may attract the attention of children.”

He said it may be best for people with children at home to perhaps pull the seeds off as they can irritate skin.

“It’s reported that if ingested, they can cause sickness, nausea and diarrhoea, although I haven’t heard of an instance of this happening,” he added.

Source: Read Full Article

You May Also Like